How to Apply
MPH Program: The deadline to apply for Fall 2017 admission is April 1st, 2017. Applications to the traditional two-year MPH are accepted on a rolling basis; the earlier an applicant applies, the earlier they will be reviewed. UIUC's MPH program only accepts applications for each Fall; we do not have Spring or Summer term start dates.
BS-MPH Program: The deadline to apply is January 10th, 2017 by 5:00 p.m. Only students who are Seniors during 2016-2017 in Kinesiology, Community Health, or I-Health at UIUC may apply. Select "Spring 2017" term and follow the instructions on the Application Instructions page. Specify "BS-MPH" in the "Specialization" category. All materials, including letters of recommendation and submission of official transcripts with Spring 2016 grades, must be complete by the deadline time and date to be considered for admission. Applicants must be able to complete all BS requirements by Summer 2017 in order to advance to the MPH in Fall 2017. See application instructions or FAQ for more information about the BS-MPH.
A Complete Application includes:
- Online Application
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Test Scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Unofficial Transcripts (from student)
- Official Transcripts (from institution)
Instructions for all application materials are provided in the Online Application which can be found:
When filling out the Online Application, instructions specific to the MPH Program are:
- "Application Information" section:
- Select "Kinesiology and Community Health" as the proposed program
- Select "Master of Public Health" as the degree
- "Educational History" section:
- Fill out the requested information on all universities you have attended or are attending.
- Upload unofficial transcripts (your own copies) from all colleges you have attended, including community colleges.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges to be sent directly from the college(s) to: email@example.com
- If your college does not send electronic transcripts, request sealed paper copies be sent directly from the registrar to:
- MPH Program
- 1206 S Fourth St.
- 2021 Khan Annex, Huff Hall
- Champaign, IL 61820
Note that "official" transcripts must be sent, sealed, directly from the institution. Copies obtained or opened by students are not official.
- "Test Information" section:
- Enter Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Scores
- Required of all applicants except BS-MPH.
- There is no minimum score required for admission.
- We do not accept other exams (MCAT, GMAT, etc.) in place of the GRE
- Enter TOEFL or IELTS scores if you are an international applicant.
- "Recommendations" section:
- Three letters of recommendation are required, preferably from academic sources or public health-related work.
- Letters of recommendation should be posted on-line by the letter writers as specified in the application instructions.
- You do not have to wait for your letters to be complete to submit your application. The letters will automatically update when they are sent to the online system. Submit your application well before the deadline, even if your letters of recommendation have not been submitted yet.
- "Statements" section:
- Provide a Resume and a Statement of Purpose.
- Your Statement of Purpose should explain, in a two page essay, why you want an MPH degree and how an MPH degree fits into your career plans.
No additional questions are required for the MPH application.
- There is not a requirement for a writing sample or a program-specific question. Only submit the Statement of Purpose.
International applicants should read more about specific graduate application requirements, including TOEFL and VISA information.